Start of main content
List of highlights
ENROLLMENT AND ELIGIBILITY
You are currently eligible to enroll in your plan. You may enroll at any time.
REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ONLINE
- Click the Log in button on the top right of your screen. Once on the Log in page, click the Register Now button under New User?
- Registering your account online helps protect your account’s security and ensures you receive important retirement planning tips and messages.
HOW TO DESIGNATE A BENEFICIARY
Naming your beneficiary is extremely important. Not only does this protect the people you care about most, it also ensures your wishes will be met.
To make your beneficiary election online:
- Click the Log in button on the top right of your screen and enter your credentials to access your account
- Next to the Plan Name, click Quick Actions
- Select Add/Review Beneficiaries
- You may also call 877-PRU-2100 (877-778-2100) to make a beneficiary election.
You may contribute:
- 0 to 75% of your annual pay before taxes are deducted.
- In 2021, federal tax law allows you to make pre-tax contributions to your retirement plan up to $19,500. If you will be at least 50 years old in 2021, you are also eligible to make up to an additional $6,500 in pre-tax catch-up contributions per year.
- You may also elect special catch-up deferrals in one or more of the three consecutive years prior to the year in which you attain normal retirement age under the plan. Please reach out to one of your retirement counselors for assistance with this election.
- You may change your contribution rate at any time.
- You may roll over money to your account, in any amount, from another similar retirement plan.
WHAT IS VESTING?
"Vesting" refers to your ownership of the money in your account. You are always 100% vested in your own contributions.
ACCESSING YOUR MONEY
You may be able to access money in your retirement plan account through a loan, or an unforeseen emergency withdrawal. Please call Prudential's Participant Service Center for more details.
If your employment with Westchester County ends—due to severance from employment, retirement, permanent disability, or death—you or your beneficiaries may choose to:
- keep your money in the plan
- roll it over to another qualified retirement plan
- request other forms of payments, as allowed by Westchester County
- withdraw your money in a lump sum
Please note that withdrawals and distributions are subject to income taxes and potentially a 10% federal income tax penalty if taken before age 59½.
Deferred Compensation Plan for Employees of The County of Westchester offers a selection of investments. You can decide how you want to invest your money and may move money between investments any time. Please visit the Investments pageopens in new window for a full list of the funds available in your plan.
REQUIRED MINIMUM DISTRIBUTIONS
Are you at least age 72, still working, and have retirement savings outside ? You may need to take Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from those balances or face signi?cant tax penalties.
The IRS requires that you withdraw at least a minimum amount from some types of retirement accounts each year, after you turn age 72.
Don’t need the money now? You can postpone RMDs for as long as you stay with your employer by rolling outside retirement assets into your current employer’s plan.*
To learn more about RMDs or how to transfer outside retirement balances to your current plan, call 800-249-2430.
* RMDs will be required when you retire. Some plans may not allow rollovers. Neither Prudential Financial nor its representatives are tax or legal advisors. You should consult your legal or tax advisor with speci?c questions. This material is intended to provide information only. This material is not intended as advice or recommendation about investing or managing your retirement savings. By sharing this information, Prudential Retirement® is not acting as your ?duciary as de?ned by the Department of Labor or otherwise. If you need investment advice, please consult with a qualified professional.
CONSOLIDATE ALL YOUR RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS INTO ONE
Consider consolidating your other retirement accounts into your Westchester County Deferred Compensation Plan. You’ll enjoy:
- Convenience. Access your savings in one convenient place—one website, one statement, one phone number.
- Potentially lower costs. You may be able to lower or eliminate fees.
- Great account benefits. Save with a variety of investment options.
Call 800-249-2430 or contact a retirement counselor by clicking on Personal assistance in the upper right hand corner of this page.
Morningstar® Retirement Manager?, a retirement planning service, offers you two options. The "Managed by Morningstar" option provides an in-plan personalized retirement strategy. Morningstar Investment Management, LLC takes control of your account management and investment allocations. The "Managed by You" option offers a specific point in-time investment recommendation and access to educational resources. You can use this information to help make a more informed decision when managing your account.
Morningstar Retirement Manager is offered by Morningstar Investment Management LLC and is intended for citizens or legal residents of the United States or its territories. The investment advice delivered through Morningstar Retirement Manager is provided by Morningstar Investment Management LLC, a registered investment adviser and subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. The Morningstar name and logo are registered marks of Morningstar, Inc. Investment advice generated by Morningstar Retirement Manager is based on information provided and limited to the investment options available in the defined contribution plan. Projections and other information regarding the likelihood of various retirement income and/or investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual results, and are not guarantees of future results. Results may vary with each use and over time. Morningstar Investment Management, LLC is not affiliated with Prudential Financial or any of its affiliates.